How to Share Jesus with your Kids
Children are curious and may have many questions about who God is and who He says they are. And you get to share the good news! They are LOVED. Period.
Keep in Mind
- Sharing Jesus is not a one-time conversation. Every day provides new opportunities to share more about who He is and all that He says about them.
- Sharing Jesus is more often caught than taught! Girls are observing your life and relationship with Jesus.
- Sharing Jesus happens best as we listen to the Holy Spirit and to the child. What do they need to hear about Jesus first?
- The lonely need to hear that God is a Friend who chooses her.
- The sad need to hear that God is her Comforter.
- The anxious need to hear that God is with her. They need not fear!
- The self-conscious need to hear that God accepts her just as she is.
- Sharing Jesus requires heart prep for you and your child. Whether your girl is hearing about God for the first time or getting to know Him even more today, pray that He prepares her heart to receive His good news. And always be pray-pared to share your faith story within the context of His.
There are many ways to share the Gospel. Here’s one to help you get started.
Place your Bible in front of you and say . . . The Bible is God’s message to us. It’s His love story! It is trustworthy and true. It tells us who God is, who you are, and how you can have a relationship with Him today and always. We can know and share this truth by thinking of the ABCs.
Admit. God made the world and everything in it—including you! But everyone sins—including you! What’s sin? God calls the wrong things we do, say, and think sin. Sin makes God sad because He loves us but can’t be near sin. To have a forever friendship with Him you need to admit your sins and tell Him you are sorry.
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23).
Believe. God’s Son Jesus loves us so much He died on the cross so our sin can be forgiven and we can be part of God’s family. Only Jesus could take the punishment for our sin because He’s never done anything wrong. Three days after He died God raised Jesus from the dead. He’s alive! Believe that He is your Savior, Rescuer, and Friend!
Christ died for our sins . . . (1 Corinthians 15:3).
Come. God’s arms are wide open to you. No matter who you are or what you’ve done, God says, “Come! I love you! I want you to be in My family forever! Come! I want to tell you more about Who I am—I am for You and with You today and always. Come! I want to tell you more about who You are. You are accepted, beautiful, chosen and so, so loved.”
Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God (John 1:12).
Girls, when you admit your sin, believe in Jesus, and accept His invitation to come to Him you will be part of His family today and one day will live in Heaven with Him. Maybe you’ve already done that. If so, Jesus keeps inviting you into a closer friendship with Himself. He says, “You already belong to Me. Nothing can change that! Keep following Me!”
Or maybe this is your first time thinking about being part of God’s family. It’s good to ask questions and I wonder if you have any questions about Jesus? Pause. If girls ask questions you are unable to answer, be honest that you’re not sure, write the question(s) down, and tell them you will seek answers and get back to them. Do so! Remind them to keep the questions coming as a group or one-on-one with you. You’re eager to learn with them!
If you would like, you can pray with me right now. If you would like to invite Jesus into your life as Savior and Friend you can pray silently with me.
Dear God, thank You for loving me. Please forgive my sins. I believe that Jesus died for me and wants me to belong to Your family forever. I accept Your invitation to come. Grow my love for You and others. Thank You for being my God and Friend forever! In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. There’s no greater joy than sharing Jesus with a child!
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
If you’d like an easy-to-use resource to equip yourself to share the gospel, the GEMS Gospel Treasure Box is for you! It’s perfect for large or small group settings or individual conversations.
The box contains a sample script, visuals, and access to the three-part Gospel Messages Series: “The Most Important Message” • “The GEMS Gospel Treasure
Box” • “How to Share Your Faith Story”.